    RE: Request to exclude FC over IP from storage over IP working group charter

    Encapsulation would be a translation which then becomes native to the
    device.  At least you would have a defined environment where their code
    already habitats.

    > Also what you are mentioning is still a bridge (in a seperate
    > device or in a chip in the drive). The Lucent proposal was
    > for a tunnel.

    A tunnel over IP however.  It is nothing more than a protocol.

    > Storage over IP should not be looked as a bridge between TCP/IP
    > and FC or parallel SCSI domains. It is a native transport for SCSI
    > commands. There will exist bridges (externel or for some reason
    > embedded) to bridge these 3 different transport protocols.

    There should be a move in that direction, but unless this interface moves to
    the device, removing state information from the middle, as not done for
    iSCSI, is the proper means for creating this gateway which is really the
    intent of iSCSI.  I see only disaster trying to extricate error situations
    where there are three or more locations of state information along the path
    that do not agree.  How to signal a problem with combined sessions by means
    of a LUN field for multiple drives?  Generate gateway state information and
    error handling?  Stateless encapsulation is the proper approach for
    combining transports as iSCSI intends and so FC over IP is a superior
    solution.

    Doug