    RE: Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    Stephen,
    That is a fair question.  At this moment I think that Multiple TCP/IP
    Connections per session can be useful, but I am neither a rabid fan nor a
    rabid detractor.  The people involved have put a lot of effort into
    understanding the problems and solutions that this approach both cause and
    solve.  The biggest goal that we want to solve in the long run is how we
    can actually use the complete set of connections to both sending Commands &
    Data as well as receiving Data, on any connection.  If we had that
    capability, I would be a Rabid Fan of Multiple TCP/IP Connections per
    session.  We, IBM, and EMC,  etc. have done this kind of thing on our large
    storage controller connected to S390 processors for years, and the results
    has been extremely valuable.

    The iSCSI team, however, gave up on this approach for the initial
    specifications, since it seemed to be very difficult to either explain or
    perhaps implement across multiple NIC Adapters.  Regardless, they then
    attempted to keep as much as they could of the Multiple TCP/IP Connections
    per Session, but have the data return on the Command Connection.  This is
    perhaps better then not having this capability, but looses some of the key
    value that we originally wanted.  I expected that the IPS group would look
    at this carefully and see if they could either come up with a way to do it
    even better.  That is, approach the goal of permitting the Storage
    Controller to respond on any Connection of a Session with the approprate
    Data and Status, if the preferred/default one is busy.

    I even hallucinated my own, perhaps not well thought out idea, that perhaps
    something like a RTT could be sent on another Session Connection (not the
    one on which the  command was received), to alert that Initiator side that
    data from command xxxx was about to be sent on some specific Session
    Connection.  (I said that it was not well thought out!)
    In this way, or some other better way, it might be possible to use all the
    Session Connections for Both Data and Commands.

    I can accept the fact that we are not completely there at this time, and
    can accept the fact that what we have now may be all we can do for the
    first release of this standard.  I feel this is reasonable and possible,
    since it has a base on which to do even better things in subsequent
    versions of the standard.

    Having said that, let me put on my product hat and talk about what I think
    many of us will do as soon as possible.  And that is to use a subset of the
    Multiple TCP/IP Connections per Session --- that is, one TCP/IP Connection
    per Session with possibly multiple Session to the same target (probably on
    different Host NICs). This will mean, however, that the Host systems will
    need to have the Session Balancing software which we and our competitors
    current have available to run on the host when they have multiple FC
    connections.

    Since IBM and others already have such code, it seems like the path of
    least resistance.  The problem is, that we and others will have to keep
    this unique code around, which is independent of this Standard, and we and
    our competitors may  have to write/maintain this code in addition to the
    iSCSI Device Drivers.  If it was all in the Standard, then the Host
    customer could choose the approprate code that went with its iSCSI
    compatible NICs, and no other separate piece of code would have to be
    developed and maintained (or installed).

    I think that some companies will also attempt to get to the Multiple
    Conversations per Session, since it will give their customers the advantage
    of not having to install  Storage Vendor specific software to Balance
    between the various Connections.  I think this will be goodness.

    So let me net this: I think that Multiple Conversations per Session are
    useful, and can be even more useful when extended in the future.  I think
    that using the subset of one Conversation per Session (with probable
    multiple session to a target) is something that many/most of the companies
    will use, since it is simpler and they already have the connection
    balancing software.  But I think the end-game must be multiple
    conversations per session that carry commands and data independently.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd