    Re: exactly the same protocol ??

    David,

    FC-SW and FC-AL are completely different beasts.  FC-SW "specifies tools and
    algorithms for interconnection and initialization of Fibre Channel switches to
    create a multi-switch Fibre Channel Fabric."  whereas FC-AL defines a protocol
    of communication between two or more nodes on a FC loop.

    Are you referring to the difference between FC-AL and FC-PH (also known as
    N_Port or old port mode)? (I fail to understand why EMC would be connecting
    storage boxes up as a fabric switch element.)

    If that is the case, this is the definition of how the data is transferred
    across the wire, not the definition of the protocol of the data itself.  It's
    like comparing ethernet to token ring.  These are two different wire
    protocols, but they can (and do) carry the same "data protocol" (TCP/IP, etc).

    -Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies