    RE: another question (was Re: patent question)

    Cheng,

    TCP/IP was developed outside normal device interfaces but made to
    approximate standard file I/O.  This IP interface uses buffers in a clumsy
    manner and requires examination for things like checksums.  Unfortunately IP
    does not trust hardware, perhaps due to the Telco environment. Letting a few
    bits rot on things like DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor)
    does not cause excitement.

    The concept is with enough hardware, you can make a file (byte stream)
    interface look like a SCSI (block) interface to then have the OS transform
    that back to a byte stream again.  Why?  SCSI is the storage interface and
    yet the traditional means of sending anything in a friendly manner over IP
    is by TCP.  On that, there is agreement.

    Why a block interface at the storage device?  To abstract storage into
    variable length objects requires about 1% ram to hard space to contain a
    robust incremental extent, variable name space, and expansive permissions
    all involved in high level real-time decisions.  But this cheap ram is still
    100 times the expense of hard space so you have doubled cost of storage and
    effective use of ram requires close proximity to the CPUs due to nothing
    more than the speed of light.  Within the OS there is massive bandwidth
    between threads making a final decision if to write/read or hold in cache
    all based on these highly dynamic abstractions.  Once past this decision
    process, the bandwidth to the block device is tolerable with a simple block
    offset and length request.  SCSI over Ethernet is not an innovation, it is
    the bigger hammer in hopes to use the now ubiquitous IP.

    Some disagree with keeping storage interface a simple block.  See
    http://www.nsic.org/nasd/1998-jun/oodreq3.pdf along with clustering.  When a
    dominate OS representative was asked how would you recover from a cluster
    error, "Reset the system." was not a surprising answer with all this
    intelligence getting tangled in chaos.  But how would you be sure of
    obtaining the correct object after loss of system coherency?  "Our customers
    would rather have bad data than no data."  Again, not a surprise.  Placing
    real-time decisions on the net with back and forth open this, close that
    does not seem like an innovation to justify a change from something perhaps
    a bit more predictable.

    Doug