    Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping

    Folks,

    In spite of John's request to not go into this topic now (and concentrate
    on the protocol stuff), I want to get my two cents in as this is one of my
    hot buttons too.

    In this space, you have to make a distinction between "name" and "address"
    (e.g., ipname, vs ipaddress vs MAC address).  Names are good for two
    purposes: (a) management interfaces and (b) passing between third parties.
    Addresses are good when an initiator wants to talk to a target and it has
    no (well almost no) value for the other purposes.

    For names, the amount of information in a name string depends on the
    context.  For management interfaces, you'd want to have ipname plus the LU
    identifier.  For third party operations, that should be sufficient as well,
    but it further depends on the context.  For example, EXTENDED COPY commands
    already have mechanisms for either identifying the "device" and the LU  OR
    for identifying the LU with LU WWIdentifiers.  The device field is
    currently too short (only 8 bytes) but that is being addressed in T10.  The
    LU is currently spec'd as LUN, but enhancements to that have been approved
    (proxy tokens in access controls -- t10/99-245r9) that solve the third
    party addressing problem.

    The EVPD page 83h LU WWIdentifier (or whatever it's called) spec'd in SPC-2
    has just be made mandatory for SPC-2 (at yesterday's T10 meeting).   So
    iSCSI needn't ask this as a requirement.

    Frankly, I think iSCSI needs only to spec the mechanism for a host to "walk
    the bus" (i.e., how does the host determine what storage devices it should
    talk to on the network).  After connecting to that device, the standard
    SCSI logical unit discovery takes over and no more is needed from iSCSI.

    About LU Views:  I STRONGLY suggest that iSCSI stay away from this topic.
    The access controls provides a SCSI solution to this issue that is in fact
    well suited to the iSCSI environment. (There will need to be a small
    addition to the access controls for iSCSI, namely, TransportIDs, but that's
    a joint T10/IPS detail that can be handled later.)  Adding additional
    layers on top of that in the iSCSI space is (IMHO) a mistake.

    Thanks for giving me the forum for today!

    Jim Hafner

    John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS@ece.cmu.edu on 09-15-2000 12:32:22 AM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu