    RE: switch latency (was Command Queue Depth, Asymmetric/Symmetric)

    Michael,

    You're quite right about the actual crossbars introducing
    minimal delays - typically, only a few tens of bit times
    at 2-3x the port bit rate.

    But, there's often a store-and-forward delay at the input port,
    where the first bits received sit until the last bits of the
    packet arrive (introducing one packet transmission time's delay,
    or about 12.5 usec for a 1500 byte Gigabit Ethernet packet.)
    This is also where packet inspection and classification
    delays can appear, as you correctly point out.

    There is a similar store-and-forward delay coming out of
    the crossbar, where the first bits switched may wait until
    the last bits clear the crossbar, before the actual
    packet transmission is scheduled to the outgoing port.
    As the crossbar may run at 2-3 times the input bit rate,
    this delay is less, often on the order of 4-6 usec for
    a maximum-size packet.

    Added together, this gives you 16-20 usec "first bit in to first
    bit out" delay for a maximum sized Gigabit Ethernet packet,
    which would be reported in the usual data-sheet convention
    as about 5 usec "last bit in to first bit out."
    Some of the big switches introduce a little more store and
    forward delay, as they use two levels of internal switching,
    one at the module level, and another at the chassis level.

    "Sub 1 usec" numbers may indicate the switch selectively
    uses cut-through forwarding rather than store-and-forward
    (tricky to get right, but certainly faster,) or may merely be
    the result of doing the measurements with a minimum-sized packet.

    As for delay numbers exceeding 1 millisecond, all I can suggest
    is that someone was looking at the specs for a 10 Megabit
    Ethernet product (where an 1518 byte packet takes 1.2 msec
    to transmit,) or for a software-based bridge or router,
    which can easily build up 1 msec of queuing time.

    And, of course, when you start considering large WAN networks,
    with multiple router hops and substantial speed-of-light delays,
    30-50 msec starts to look mighty fast.  Add in congestion queuing,
    and you can easily build up to the often quoted 150-300 msec
    "Internet latency."

    - milan