    iSCSI: SCTP, credits, proposals

    About two weeks ago, I proposed:

    > - Recognize the merits of SCTP as well as TCP, plan for both
    >	with the anticipation that TCP will be used first.

    Aside from a concern that this not hold up specification
    of iSCSI over TCP, I have seen no objection to this
    proposal, and hence instruct the WG that we should
    proceed in this fashion.  What this means is that
    the layering boundary between iSCSI and its transport
    is significant, and while iSCSI must work well over
    TCP, we need to design it in a fashion that assumes
    it will eventually operate over SCTP and hence does
    not do things that are fundamentally at odds with SCTP.

    Fortunately, we have an SCTP expert on this list
    (Randall Stewart) who should be able to flag things
    that are at odds with SCTP in a timely fashion.  The
    recent consensus to remove the command numbers
    and sliding windows from the standard header works
    well with SCTP, as use of multiple SCTP connections
    in a single iSCSI session seems rather unlikely.

    The thread ending in the proposal of BB and EE credits
    was an unfortunate use of list bandwidth.  As was stated
    toward the end of that thread, these are flow control
    mechanisms that do not implement congestion control.
    I strongly suggest that everyone who has not already
    done so read RFC 2914, which is the RFC version of the
    floyd draft on congestion that I've referred to in the past.
    The next person who leads us down the rathole of asserting
    that flow control mechanisms solve congestion control problems
    should not expect a polite and accommodating response.
    Credits could form the basis of a congestion control
    mechanism, but one should expect to invest at least a
    year, probably longer in design and prototyping to get it
    to pass muster with the co-chairs, ADs, and IESG.

    There are a number of "proposals" that have surfaced
    recently.  Due to list traffic, emails get swamped in the
    archive quickly (which message had that proposal on X)?
    I strongly encourage those with substantial proposals to
    write Internet Drafts - this makes it easy to find the
    document 387 emails later.  I realize that writing one's
    first I-D is a hurdle, but it's worth doing as it makes
    the proposal much more accessible to the WG.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500