    RE: iSCSI: Session Partial Resolution

    Matt,

    This is a general feature of IP.

    > [D] The bandwidth (transfer rate, MB/sec) supported by storage
    > controllers is rapidly increasing, due to several factors: (1)
    > Increase in disk spindle and controller performance;

    The linear increase in the performance of the mechanical aspects of the
    drive have not kept pace with the exponential data density improvements.
    Unless dealing with a single massive transfer, the overall effect of data
    density improvements is a small reduction in latency lost by the large
    latency within a MAN network.

    > (2) Use
    > of ever-larger caches, and improved caching algorithms;

    Network latency negates use of remote caching.  Such caching must be near
    the client and not the drive.  If you wish to define a controller
    specification, this should be done using appropriate technologies.  Clearly,
    if the controller is on site, interface requirements change substantially.
    For redundancy, there may even be one per client system! Now the traffic
    that needs some work would be to ensure such controllers stay synchronized
    if used in a cluster.  Either way, you will not see a higher performance
    moving the controller next to the drive.

    > (3)
    > Increased scale of storage controllers (number of supported
    > spindles, speed of interconnects). Not only must the iSCSI
    > provide for full utilization of available link bandwidth, it
    > also must exploit parallelism (multiple connections) at the
    > device interfaces and within the interconnect fabric."

    Again, this is a general feature of IP.  If access is to the drive, as it
    should be, there is no problem scaling especially if you are using IP.

    > Unless there is "consensus" that this is not required, I think
    > the multiple
    > connections/session must remain.

    Not one reason for forcing aggregation into a single connection.  If you
    wish to bind multiple adapters, IP supports this.  I doubt you will ever
    need to do this however.

    Doug