    Re: Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer.

    David,

    > I like the challenge and the way you put it.  But I would
    > also like to preface it with a better statement of
    > the "framing problem" we are trying to solve.  Some will
    > (and have) argued that simply placing the message
    > length in the iSCSI header is sufficient, the rest is
    > just a performance optimization and not all agree that
    > there is a performance problem, just an implementation
    > detail.

    I think the problem being solved is one of buffer and resource utilization,
    in the face of dropped frames. When buffers are already allocated by higher
    layers, the off-loaded TCP is unable to use them, in the face of dropped
    frames. To hold these frames whose identity is not established in some
    "anonymous" buffer at the NIC seems wasteful, when something like UP can
    allow TCP to place it in the approriate upper level owner. In that model,
    the NIC is only using up buffers for those PDUs which would not be complete
    unless the missing frame comes in. Message length in the iSCSI header is
    useful also, so all subsequent PDUs can also be placed in its higher-level
    buffers, but not sufficient by itself.

    The only other alternative I can come up with somehow force iSCSI PDU's
    header to be always at the start of a TCP payload, immediately following the
    TCP header. That seems to violate the stream nature of TCP, which enables
    "standard" TCP implementations to operate without knowledge of framing of
    upper layers.

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.
    www.rhapsodynetworks.com