    Thoughts on the Urgent Pointer issue.

    Julian:

    Interesting paper, it at least frames some of the
    ideas that have been mulled on by the design team... this
    is a good thing.

    I have been thinking about the Urgent pointer use that
    Matt is proposing off and on all weekend. And I finally
    came up with what bugs me about it.

    Yes, I think it will work if you are lucky enough to
    only have ONE loss. The Urgent mark will be present
    to guide you in to where to recover and you will only
    need to buffer some smaller amount of data in the NIC.

    But the problem is what is happening at the sender during
    this loss. Two things are occuring when the loss is
    realized,

    A) The congestion window is 1/2'ed (assuming a fast retransmit)
      <and>
    B) The sender experiences a Urgent pointer collapse upward. This is
       because you must assume a constant sending rate (in order to
       maintain your high transfer) and since we have only one urgent
       pointer, each send pushes the urgent mark further and further
       up the list of queued iSCSI packets.

    Now everything will be fine if we can get this 150-250Meg of data
    (with 1 urgent mark out at the end) through without a loss, but what
    happens when you get a subsequent loss? The receiver will have
    no urgent pointer for quite some time.

    I really think using this mechanism is completely unreliable and would
    not be very advisable...

    The alignment proposed below seems more dependable but you may be
    using up to much bandwidth on this depending on how you
    choose a boundary etc...  Another thought, listed in your memo is
    the choice of a "magic" signature. But this may present a problem
    as well (CPU wise) since now one must scan memory looking for the
    "magic" mark (when one gets out of sync) and of course one would
    need a escape sequence in case data heading for a disk or tape had
    the magic mark...

    I don't know of any other viable options though.. I think the
    only two assured ones are the (A) alignment method and (B) the
    "magic" signature. I don't see that the Urgent pointer is a
    safe option since it will be quite unreliable.

    Regards

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com