    Re: TCP limitations (was Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.)

    Vern,

    I fail to see how your drop assumptions change the need for framing.
    If we don't have framing we have to design the stack/adapter to either:

       store all the data until the TCP recovers
       drop all the data until TCP recovers

    Dropping data  will nullify any positive effects we could have from SACK
    and force us to
    handle many reorderings as a losses.
    And how much data we have to store is dependent only on the bandwidth*RTT
    not on the drop rate.
    Are you suggesting that dropping data will not reduce considerably
    bandwidth or increase congestion?

    Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov> on 21/11/2000 09:42:55

    Please respond to Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>