    Re: Reordering (was Re: TCP limitations ...)

    vern@aciri.org wrote:

    >         J.C.R. Bennett, C. Partridge, and N. Shectman,
    >         Packet Reordering is Not Pathological Network Behavior,
    >         IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 7, Number 6,
    >         December 1999, pgs 789--799.

    Hi Vern,

    Yes, I had read that with interest when it was published in ToN
    and have also read your disseration.

    I'm not worried about reordering for enterprise deployment of iSCSI,
    as in that environment you have the ability to specify the equipment
    used, and thus can avoid configurations that are prone to reordering.

    It is the enterprise storage use of iSCSI that 'requires' some means
    of reading the next iSCSI PDU should the previous one be delayed.
    And thus it is this application that is driving the use of URG as
    a iSCSI PDU delimiter.  (Although my own belief, totally unsupported
    by implementation experience, is that these reordering and loss events
    can be engineered within an enterprise storage network to be so rare
    as not to be of concern).

    For Internet deployment on a best-effort path (which is where
    my interest lies), delays are to be expected in any case so the
    queuing of iSCSI PDUs due to packet reordering is of much less
    concern.

    Pathological reordering (eg: every second packet) would be
    a problem.  I've asked that ISPs be given the hint about
    this in the draft (ie: by making the desirable traffic
    engineering attributes be low congestion and low reordering).

    In our network, we would then establish a MPLS label switched
    path for iSCSI that does not load share across our parallel
    undersea links and does end-to-end rather than by-section
    protection.  Other ISPs could do engineering suitable for
    their network.

    > The authors found frequent reordering on packets sent through
    > MAE-East.

    And they argued that this behaviour was to be expected and
    was unavoidable, rather than due to misconfiguration.  They
    then made a case for improvements in TCP, arguing that it needs
    to behave better in the face of now-expected reordering.

    Such improvements would help iSCSI over TCP as much as
    any other protocol.

    Because SCSI can handle some re-ordering of PDUs and because
    there are multiple iSCSI sessions over the one transport connection,
    there's also an argument for running iSCSI over some non-stream
    reliable transport for enterprise applications.  It concerns me
    that the textual organisation of the current draft makes this addition
    difficult, even if such a protocol has yet to be determined.

    However, I'm simply a network engineer and Linux hacker, whereas
    other people on the list work for the cream of the storage
    companies.  I'm writing an iSCSI implementation for Linux as
    a project that will hopefully lead to the grant of a masters
    degree.

    Regards,
    Glen
    --
     Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
     (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network