    Re: Read data chunk size and segmentation negotiation

    From: julian_satran@il.ibm.com
    Subject: Re: Read data chunk size and segmentation negotiation
    Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:56:40 +0200

    > Interesting questions - but why?
    >
    > Why should the initiator care about the chunks (it has already reserved the
    > memory when issuing the read) and about how many - the target is going to
    > tell him when it is over by the Status or Response.
    >
    > Could you elaborate?

    I understand from your response that it is an (implicit) requirement
    that all initiators must always accept a data response of any length
    up to the expected data transfer length. This is logical because it is
    the initiator that specifies the expected data transfer length.

    I just wonder if there is (or will be) any situation that would
    require the size of the data responses to be limited by the initiator
    whilst still allowing for a larger data transfer length. If no such
    situation can ever occur then the negotiation is not required.

    However, I would still prefer that the implicit requirement that an
    initiator must be capable of accepting all of the read data in one
    response to be stated explicitly.

    Furthermore, unless I am mistaken, the draft standard does not
    explicitly state that initiators must be able to accept read data that
    has been segmented into multiple responses (as opposed to a single
    data response). I would also prefer that this requirement is stated
    explicitly. As background to this, I am aware of an initiator
    implementation that cannot accept segmented read data. Whether it was
    done deliberately or by accident I don't know.

    I just feel that the the more loose ends that are nailed down, the
    greater the chance that the resulting end products will be
    interoperable.

    Regards,

    Mark