    RE: iFCP

    Marjorie,

    <snip..snip>

    > Please explain how you've arrived at this notion of tunneling
    > (FCoverIP)
    > requiring n*(n-1) "edge connects" and what you mean by "edge
    > connects".

    I think what John means is that there is a n*(n-1) configuration problem
    in the number of FCIP tunnels that must be set up between n number
    of SAN islands.  Since FCIP does not (yet) have a dynamic tunnel
    configuration mechanism, each gateway must be manually configured with
    n-1 tunnels to each of the other SAN islands, where n is the number of
    SAN islands (not necessarily gateways).  This is okay when there are
    only two SAN islands that need to be connected, but the amount of manual
    configuration increases exponentially as the number of SANs increases.

    > Implementation experience is a pair of "edge devices"
    > (FCoverIP switching
    > devices) for a WAN link between remote SANs.  This is a proximity
    > requirement only - ie, you have to have a physical device at
    > a location to
    > connect to the local physical wiring(s).  So if there are
    > several SANs at a
    > physical location, it still requires only one FCoverIP device
    > (with N FC
    > ports) to handle the WAN connection.

    Multiple SANs at the same physical location do not need FCIP to
    interconnect them.  So yes, I agree we are talking about a proximity
    requirement as far as the number of gateways.  But the issue is the
    amount of configuration required to set up n*(n-1) tunnel endpoints,
    not the actual number of gateways.

    Josh