    RE: iFCP vs FCIP

    Hi Folks:

    The issue is that the design goals and underlying network models are
    fundamentally different. Essentially, FCIP's goal is to provide a
    transparent conduit between Fibre Channel fabrics while iFCP's goal is ULP
    transparency between N_PORTs.

    As a result, in iFCP, the fabric-wide services provided by FC fabric
    elements (and often implemented with proprietary protocols) are replaced by
    standard, IP-based equivalents. For that reason, an iFCP gateway does not
    need to recognize or provide facilities for servicing inter-switch FC
    protocols, such as those for zoning, naming and routing.

    Charles