    Re: TCP (and SCTP) sucks on high speed networks

    Sounds good.  Any improvement to the most common transport used today (it need
    not ne TCP, of course) is welcome.  The remarks of Randall and some others
    suggest that TCP's mission is congestion control, when it's both clear that
    TCP does not do that accurately or completely and never has, because of how
    and why it was designed and modified over the years.

    An excellent example of how "not changing TCP" is a meaningless goal or stand
    is the use, every day, of TCP stacks on commercial gear that do things to
    improve performance that purists would faint over -- such as ignoring the
    receiver's window advertizement because the sender knows the receiver's
    processor and stack are capable of doing more (this actually happens on one
    well-known vendor's mirroring products).

    The odd allegiance to an old piece of thinking and publicly-subsidized code
    (TCP) is not surprising, but it ignores the reality that many other ways of
    transporting data reliably exist, which then do not offer TCP's "congestion
    control" to a network.  It's therefore clear that the network must be more
    active and accurate in admitting and controlling flows for a variety of
    transports, much as the telcos do with Frame Relay.  Therefore, SCTP and other
    efforts are welcome.  They suggest we're thinking beyond '70s byte counting
    and acknowledgment and finally realizing, after too many years, that the
    network layer (e.g., IP) is where congestion needs handling -- oops, that's
    the 'new' stuff on ECN for IP.  For all the public and private money that's
    been spent on the Internet protocols, you'd think we'd be farther along.  But,
    that's how established bureaucracies operate.  {:o]

    Alex
    --
    Menlo Park, California