    RE: iFCP vs FCIP

    Wayland,

    [stuff deleted]

    > > Because iFCP uses TCP, in-order delivery is guaranteed by iFCP.
    > > If you are thinking about mFCP/UDP, most OSPF implementations will
    > > not chose different paths for traffic between the same two IP
    > > addresses.  So the only case you will get alternate route selection
    > > is in a route-failure situation, in which case out-of-order is
    > > not your main concern (packet loss is).
    > >
    > Venkat is correct. In FC fabrics, you must be careful about re-routing
    > traffic. Many FC end-points will login in requesting in-order
    > delivery. If
    > you change the route without waiting for outstanding
    > exchanges to expire,
    > you may confuse some HBA's and targets. Many FC switches have
    > the option of
    > re-routing immediately upon detecting a route failure or
    > waiting for R_A_TOV
    > before invoking an alternate path.

    FC devices which are internetworked using iFCP will have their
    exchanges transported over TCP.  TCP will re-order the segments
    in the event of out-of-order before it passes the data up to
    iFCP and FCP.  Whether the network reorders or not is immaterial.

    As far as OSPF, it is no different from FSPF (actually, I should
    say FSPF is no different from OSPF).  Therefore, OSPF's behavior
    in support of mFCP/UDP is be no different from that of a Fibre
    Channel fabric compliant with FC-SW-2.

    [stuff deleted]

    > I don't believe that an iFCP gateway and an FCIP tunnel
    > differ in their
    > respective abilities to segment and re-assemble traffic or
    > manage credit
    > based flow control. The latest FCIP proposal which
    > incorporates TCP as the
    > reliable transport between FCIP entities will require that
    > these devices
    > fragment IP packets along the MTU of the network and possibly
    > segment TCP.
    > Since iFCP is essentially an encapsulation as well, I don't
    > see that there
    > is any difference here . . . unless you are implying that you
    > spoof the FC
    > end-point fragment size by returning PLOGI ACC with a modified common
    > service parameter page (i.e. trick the FC nodes into sending
    > conveniently

    HINT HINT.... (!!)

    > sized FC frames by modifying the max receive buffer size negotiated
    > parameter). Similarly, I don't see how an FCIP device and an
    > iFCP gateway
    > differ relative to BB credit. Any effort to link BB credit on
    > the FC side
    > with TCP flow-control on the LAN side would be highly implementation
    > dependent.

    Yes, you are very perceptive regarding the things that an iFCP gateway
    IMPLEMENTATION can do.  FCIP is explicitly prevented from doing
    these things because it is a tunneling protocol.  It therefore
    is prevented from performing implementation-specific adjustments
    that may be needed to stabilize and optimize the interaction
    between two independent transports (i.e., FC and TCP/IP).

    > On the contrary, I see the main difference between FCIP and
    > iFCP is in how
    > each performs naming. In FCIP, the SAN is one logical FC
    > connected network
    > with the IP tunnel being for all intensive purposes,
    > transparent. In this
    > case, the naming between FC SAN islands are coupled and thus
    > the need for
    > FC-BB, BSW and all that gunk. Whereas in iFCP, naming is
    > handled through a
    > DNS/SNS entity allowing devices to be named by referencing
    > the IP gateway
    > and the MAC address (D_ID) behind it. I like to think of it as the
    > difference between tunneling between MAC bridges versus a
    > true gateway.

    As I will be mentioning at the upcoming IETF, iSNS can also be
    extended to provide a dynamic tunnel discovery mechanism for
    FCIP.

    Josh