    Re: iSCSI: DataRN

    Julian,

    The iSCSI draft should refrain from advocating any retry policies at the
    iSCSI layer, such as being currently done for connection failures and
    digest errors.

    I/O retry policies are decided by the SCSI ULP based on the class of the
    target. (disk, tape, changer, etc).
    For a tape class of device, the SCSI ULP may not wish to retry on an error
    [without a prior rewind operation]. In such situations, iSCSI attempting to
    retry on connection failures or digest errors can result in problems with
    sequential access type of media.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Yes - command restart will have to be just that ... restart.
    >
    > Julo
    >
    > Raghavendra Rao <jp.raghavendra@sun.com> on 19/01/2001 18:41:47
    >
    > Please respond to Raghavendra Rao <jp.raghavendra@sun.com>
    >
    > To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > cc:
    > Subject:  iSCSI: DataRN
    >
    > Julian,
    >
    > > The consesus at the intermediate meeting in Orlando was to drop Data
    > > Numbering.
    > > If you have strong object here is your last chance to object.
    > >

    > I support the removal of DataRNs. I assume that this will also result in
    > the elimination of the concept of micro-level restart of data transfer
    > after
    > a connection failover with in a session ? Or is that still present ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -JP

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088