    RE: iSCSI: INQUIRY page 0x83 identifier

    Michael,

    In answer to your question:

    >  Why not just require EUI-64 which is a very large name space
    >  and is / will
    >  be used in many hardware solutions today / future?  This
    >  would also fit in
    >  well with other I/O standards that use EUI-64 for
    >  identifying all I/O
    >  components / controllers.  Having a 128-bit value seems like
    >  overkill and
    >  provides little benefit.

    The EUI-64 is fine for devices coming from a factory.  It is less
    satisfactory for logical units that are created in the field, as
    RAID logical units typically are.  Those cases also require unique
    names which are never recreated when a logical unit is destroyed
    and a new one created.  There is also no architected limit to the
    number of logical units that can be created either at one time or
    over the life of a RAID box.

    As a result, the 128-bit format 6 Fibre Channel format is very
    popular for logical units because the 64-bit core can be taken
    from the identifier of the creating controller (which may change
    over the life of the RAID) and the 64-bit extension can be
    created in a controller specific manner (using combinations of
    time stamps and other parameters) that still guarantees world-wide
    uniqueness.

    Bob