    I am not sure what comparison you are referring to since I did not compare
    the cost of implementing Checksums against that of implementing CRCs. All I
    compared was the cost, in gates (not table size), of a complex CRC vs that
    of a simple CRC.

    |If you were to use the same CRC-32, you will find the same levels of
    |protection as this CRC is to protect against various types of equipment
    |failures NOT protected by the Ethernet/FDDI/Fibre-Channel CRC, then a
    |replication of this polynomial should not be a problem in that
    |sense.  For
    |those that wish to include a different polynomial tend to justify this
    |effort by indicating this would improve the present physical
    |layer checks.
    |
    |The problem that I see with that conclusion is errors seen
    |outside of any
    |potential Ethernet CRC failure are of such orders of magnitude as to
    |out-weight any replicate benefit derived.  In that light, even
    |Adler-32 may
    |provide benefit in that case.  The next area being looked at
    |is the number
    |of bits detected in a burst error.  The unprotected equipment
    |is not likely
    |using a serial method of delivery, so you are again left
    |errors that may
    |provide strange error patterns.  The concept supporting a different
    |polynomial was its greater ability to detect burst errors.

    If I understand you correctly you are saying that the ethernet polynomial is
    good enough to protect against the type of errors iSCSI needs to provide
    protection for. I agree. My main argument for wanting a simple (standard)
    polynomial is that I would like to take advantage of the lower cost in gate
    count.

    |The large piece of information missing from this presentation was a
    |characterization of the types of errors seen by intermediate equipment.
    |There was a bullet that suggested this equipment will produce
    |burst errors.
    |If so, what is the nature of this equipment and what are the prevalent
    |errors?  From that perspective a comparisons could be made.
    |But as we are
    |familiar with noise distributions of single bit errors, this became our
    |focus.  It is a bit like looking for your keys under the light
    |post even
    |though you dropped them in the dark.  You wish to look where
    |the light is
    |better.

    I give a lot more detail on small number of single bit errors and small
    number of bursts because there is theory that I can use to analyze those
    cases. Like you and others, I have struggled with the claims that it is
    important for iSCSI to provide protection from small number of errors. I
    have finally convinced myself that small number of errors are probable even
    in our environment. In my slides I outlined several important error
    mechanims that tend to produce few number of individual errors. Here are
    some I can think of at the moment:

    1. Random memory errors.
    2. Marginal timing paths in the hardware.
    3. Noise (crosstalk, power supply noise).
    4. Leakage problems in bistable devices due to manufacturing defects.
    5. Hardware degradation.

    Of course there are also possible error patterns that contain lots of errors
    and unfortunately I cannot say much about about them other than that 1 in
    2^32 (if all errors are equiprobable) will get through both checksums and
    CRCs and that those that get through the CRC are more random looking than
    those that get through the Checksums.