    RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

    > No, I was not confused nor did I expect clients to turn a WWUI into an
    > address as obviously you already have an address to do the reverse DNS.  I
    > indicated the process as Name->IP->Reverse-Name and illustrated this
    process
    > by pointing to the technique that Microsoft used to obtain names from
    > machines.

    I'm afraid Doug is still confused.  For connection to a specific target
    identified
    using a Reverse DNS name, the sequence is:

    Reverse Name --> DNS name --> IP

    where the first association is handled by some sort of nameservice (such as
    the
    LDAP server that Doug favors) and/or static configuration and the second is
    the usual DNS lookup.  The first association has to be some sort of table,
    directory or database lookup, as extracting the DNS component of the reverse
    DNS name and trying to connect to it will not work in general.

    The only way to get from IP to the reverse name is to connect to the
    canonical iSCSI Target ("iscsi") and use the "Send Targets" command to
    get a list of targets visible to the initiator.  Spoofing concerns
    get handled at the stage where the Initiator connects to the Target
    (there's a full iSCSI login that may be riding on a secure IPSec or TLS
    connection, depending on how we decide to do this).  The Reverse
    Name is NOT being extracted from DNS.  This mechanism
    is analogous to the SCSI REPORT_LUNS command and the way
    that a Fibre Channel initiator downloads a set of targets from the FC
    nameserver as part of FC discovery -- both of these mechanisms
    work fine in appropriate environments, and neither has anything to
    do with NetBIOS.

    As for LDAP - writing a draft on how to use it would be a far more
    productive approach than complaining that the WG is ignoring LDAP.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500