    Re: iSCSI:2.11.5 TSID

    Barry,

    You are right - this is editorial and it is here from a very old version.
    It was already raised and I fixed it.

    It reads now:

       The TSID is an initiator identifying tag set by the target.  It is valid
       only if the connection is accepted.

    Code 0206 identifies now the error.

    Julo

    "Barry Reinhold" <bbrtrebia@mediaone.net> on 02/04/2001 18:24:25

    Please respond to "Barry Reinhold" <bbrtrebia@mediaone.net>

    To:   "ISCSI" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    cc:
    Subject:  iSCSI:2.11.5 TSID

    Julian,

    Section 2.11.5 states:

    "The TSID is an initiator identifying tag set by the target.  A 0 in
       the returned TSID indicates that either the target supports only a
       single connection or that the ISID has already been used as a leading
       ISID. In both cases, the target rejects the login."

    I have a question on this, but I'm not sure if it is an editorial or
    technical issue.

    If the login PDU arrives with an ISID that has "already been used as a
    leading ISID" I am assuming that the TSID in this PDU must be zero. (A
    leading ISID is an ISID in a LOGIN request PDU that has the TSID set to
    zero
    and hence established a new connection)

    In this case how does the target know that the ISID has already been used
    as
    a leading ISID? There is no connection context if TSID = 0 and, for the
    target, the ISID is only meaningful within a session.

    If my assumption about TSID = 0 is wrong, and TSID is not zero then I would
    suggest the following editorial change:

    "TSID is a session identifying tag established by the target. The taget
    MUST
    return a value of 0 in the TSID field if the TSID specified in the login
    request identified a session for which no more connections are allowed."

    [Note: The goal of the editorial comment is to make it clear that the error
    conditon being discussed here is a login request with a non zero TSID that
    can not be satisfied]

    Barry Reinhold
    Principal Architect
    Trebia Networks
    barry.reinhold@trebia.com
    603-868-5144/603-659-0885/978-929-0830 x138