    Re: iSCSI implementation

    On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Ashish A. Palekar wrote:

    >Mike:
    >
    >A group at the InterOperability Lab at the University of New Hampshire
    >under Prof. Robert D. Russell has been looking at the performance and
    >implementation aspects of iSCSI as compared to Fibre Channel and other
    >SAN technologies. We have developed among other things an iSCSI
    >Initiator (again to draft-3 specs) - this interfaces to the SCSI
    >Mid-Level in the Linux kernel. For the Target side, we have developed a

    Our initiator is implemented as a lower layer adapter driver and therefore
    also interfaces with the mid-level.

    >generic SCSI Target Mid-Level, along with a bunch of front-ends (for
    >Fibre Channel, Adaptec's SEP and iSCSI). Actually we have been looking
    >for a good open source initiator implementation for iSCSI.

    I'd be very interested in seeing your target work, ours is just getting
    under way.  Our implementation hasn't been tested yet since we don't have
    a target.

    >The SEP implementation (both initiator and target) is decently stable,
    >the iSCSI/Fibre Channel implementations are being worked on. I am in the
    >process of putting them up on the web.
    >
    >All code is being released under the GPL license v2. Code is
    >experimental, buggy and not everything has been implemented. Code has
    >been tested on Intel machines only at this point. We are planning to
    >upgrade the code directly to v06 of the draft when it comes out. We did
    >not upgrade to version 05 because of frame format issues (WN).

    Sounds just about where we are at.  The only v5 stuff I've added has been
    changing the opcode values.

    >The link for the code is:
    >http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/fc/fc_linux.html

    Regards,

    -Michael F. Brown, UMass Lowell Computer Science

    phone:  (978) 934-5354
    email:  mbrown@cs.uml.edu

    "I wonder if pawns just realize that they're just pawns
     in someone's (chess) game."   -L. Fitzgerald Sjöberg