    iSCSI state transitions question [was: new iSCSI draft 07.txt]

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: iSCSI state transitions question [was: new iSCSI draft 07.txt]
    • From: "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:00:33 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Sanjay,

    You are right to the extent that S1 and S13 are similar
    since neither has a valid associated transport connection,
    but they differ in if active iSCSI tasks could possibly be
    associated with the state.  S1 can not have any unfinished
    tasks, while S13 may.
    To quote 6.1 -
            The BUSY state (S13) implies that there are possibly
            iSCSI tasks that have not reached conclusion and are
            still considered busy.

    S13 is reached either through S19-* transitions, or S20-*
    transitions, both of which happen without a clean iSCSI Logout
    hence the possibility of unfinished iSCSI tasks.

    To quote 6.1 again -
            Whenever a connection state machine (say, CSM-R) enters
            the BUSY state (S13), it must go through the state transitions
            additionally described in the connection recovery state
            diagram.

    The above is to eventually get to S1.

    Please review the pdf file I posted to this list as well
    which additionally contains a graphical representation of standard
    connection state diagram.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun