    From: Mike Brown <mbrown@cs.uml.edu>
    To: rod.harrison@windriver.com
    CC: ips@ece.cmu.edu, sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com
    Subject: RE: iSCSI Plugfest at UNH (misc issues) (fwd)
    Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

    Rod,

     >	The initiator needs the initiator task tag in order to
     >associate inbound PDUs with the correct command. For
     >untagged commands the ATTR field of the SCSI Command PDU
     >should be set to 0, Untagged.

    The initiator associates inbound PDU's with the itt.  I agree with
    Sandeep.  If the SCSI Command is untagged, then the itt should
    be explicitly set to 0xffffffff in the iSCSI PDU since the initiator can
    still use the itt to associate inboud iSCSI PDU's with a current SCSI
    command because SAM-2 sec 4.9.1 states:

    "An untagged task does not include a tag in any of its component
    definitions, thus restricting the number of concurrent untagged tasks in a
    single task set to _ONE_ per initiator"

    If there are multiple outstanding tasks, (one untagged task and multiple
    tagged tasks), each task will still have a unique itt, and therefore the
    initiator can associate inbound iSCSI PDU's with a particular SCSI
    command.

     >	- Rod

    -Michael F. Brown, UMass Lowell Computer Science

    phone:  (978) 934-5354
    email:  mbrown@cs.uml.edu

    "If a driver behaves incorrectly, the Driver Verifier will crash the system
      immediately. In this way, the Driver Verifier prevents the driver bug from
      being masked by further processing. The result is a faster, easier
    debugging
      process."          -Windows 2000 Driver Development Kit Release Notes