    Re: iSCSI: SecurityContextComplete without operational parameters

    Jim:

    We already have the classification of keys into security
    (given in Appendix A) and operational (given in Appendix D),
    although a few of the keys in Appendix D (TargetAddress, TargetName,
    TargetAlias, InitiatorName, InitiatorAlias) are really
    informational parameters (a third category) since they cannot
    be negotiated.

    The problem is the way these are negotiated during login.
    The simplification most people want is to ALWAYS start a login
    with a security negotiation subphase that involves NO operational
    parameter negotiation (the informational parameters are ok).
    This phase ALWAYS ends with an exchange
    of messages (a "handshake") containing the key
    SecurityContextComplete=yes and no other security keys and no
    operational keys.
    Only after this exchange should any operational parameters be
    negotiated in additional messages.

    If no security is wanted, a login command with F=0 can start the
    handshake by offering SecurityContextComplete=yes (along with
    the TargetName= and InitiatorName= keys, which should ALWAYS be
    required on the login command), and the target can respond
    with a login response with F=0 and containing only
    SecurityContextComplete=yes.
    Then and only then can operational parameters be negotiated.

    If neither security nor operational parameters need to be negotiated,
    the login command is as above but with F=1, and the target response
    as above but with F=1.  At that point, both sides are in full feature
    phase.

    It is simple and unambiguous.

    Bob