    RE: Security Gateways

    Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:02:28 -0400 (EDT)
    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    To: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: BOUNCE ips@ece.cmu.edu:    Non-member submission from [Robert Snively <rsnively@brocade.com>]

    From owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu Thu Aug  2 18:02:25 2001
    From: Robert Snively <rsnively@brocade.com>
    To: "'Mark Winstead'" <Mark.Winstead@NetOctave.com>,
       "'Jim McKinney'"
    	 <jmck+@ece.cmu.edu>, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Cc: David Blaker <DBlaker@NetOctave.com>
    Subject: RE: Security Gateways
    Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:02:15 -0700

    My first guess, which is admittedly just a guess, is that

    	a)  All SCSI paths are physically secure (the longest
    		is less than 25 meters).

    	b)  All FC N_Port copper and multi-mode paths are
    		physically secure (the longest is less than
    		500 meters and most are on newly installed
    		50 micron cable).

    That leaves FCIP-like paths and ATM/SONET paths, which are
    available, but still rare in the industry.  That is why my
    swag is less than 1%.  The metro SAN interconnects typically
    have 2 such connections for each fabric island.  Each fabric
    island may have dozens of other physically secured connections.

    I believe that there will be a paradigm evolution, but nothing
    as dramatic as a paradigm shift.  While more bandwidth will
    open among glass-fronted rooms, the bandwidth contained within
    the rooms will increase as fast.  The low latency, high
    performance, disciplined centralized management, and physical
    protection of valuable assets will maintain the "physically
    secure" to "logically secure" ratios a lot higher than might
    otherwise be expected.  Secure communication will certainly be mandated
    among the rooms, but within a glass-fronted room, there does not
    seem to be the same compelling reason for security, except as it
    applies to system management functions.

    For telecommuters, I expect secure access will be mandatory, but
    I expect that it will not be at the FCIP or iSCSI level, but
    rather at the file level.

    Hope that explains why I feel those numbers are important.

    Bob Snively                        e-mail:    rsnively@brocade.com
    Brocade Communications Systems     phone:  408 487 8135
    1745 Technology Drive
    San Jose, CA 95110