    iSCSI: draft 7: Abort Task and RefCmdSN

    The Task Management [function] Command PDU includes two fields
    currently only used by the ABORT TASK function:

    2.5.2 Referenced Task Tag
      Initiator Task Tag of the task to be aborted - for abort task

    2.5.3 RefCmdSN [Referenced command sequence number]
      For abort-task the task CmdSN to enable task removal. If RefCmdSN is
      is lower that ExpCmdSN or higher than MaxCmdSN the target will ignore
      RefCmdSN.

    Both fields identify the task to be aborted.  The Referenced Task
    Tag field sits at the SCSI level and matches the SAM-2 function
    call description (SAM-2 revision 18):
    6.2 ABORT TASK
      Function call:
        Service Response = ABORT TASK (IN (I_T_L_Q Nexus) )

    The RefCmdSN field sits at the iSCSI level.

    I suggest removing one of these fields.  Having two ways to
    specify the same thing just raises the question of what to do
    when the values don't agree.  If that happens, should the
    target:
    send back a Reject PDU
    abort both tasks
    abort the task indicated by the Referenced Task Tag
    abort the task indicated by the RefCmdSN
    abort one of the tasks but also report an error
    do any of the above

    Since task management functions in general may rely on the
    SCSI tag (although Abort Task is the only current user of it),
    I suggest keeping that flag and dropping the iSCSI field.

    --
    Robert.Elliott@compaq.com
    Compaq Computer Server Storage