    RE: saag whyenc draft (was RE: Security Gateways)

    I would like to second Jim's remarks below, and would like to see some
    or all of his text included in the iSCSI document.  I think
    this is a reasonable approach which would address most concerns on
    all sides.

    Much has been said to deride today's firewall-based security
    architecture ("hard on the outside, chewy on the inside...").
    But the fact is that we know what the strengths and weaknesses
    of this architecture are.  And despite all the touted advantages
    of the pure end-to-end security model, do we have any experience
    with it? I think not.

    One immediate consequence I can think of is that iSCSI devices will
    not be able to leverage the services of a security gateway, unless you
    have distributed the encryption keys for your iSCSI session to that
    firewall.  And contrary to the negative things said about them,
    security gateways are, and IMO will continue to be, an important
    component to any enterprise's security infrastructure for the forseeable
    future.  They are a bottleneck for all traffic entering the network,
    making it much easier for the administrator to monitor security threats
    to that network, since he only has to monitor his few security gateways,
    instead of each of his 1000's of hosts.

    And if iSCSI devices cannot leverage the services of a security firewall
    because all of their traffic is encrypted, what that means is that they
    will each be individually responsible for fending off DOS attacks.
    Anyone can spoof IPSec packets.  From what I understand, the work on
    IPSec NAT will not fix this since the NAT boundary is stateless, and
    will not authenticate the IPSec.  For some administrators, especially
    storage administrators, I believe they would be quite uncomfortable
    about this.

    I would propose that security gateways will be particularly important
    for iSCSI, even if they are equipped with end-to-end security.  iSCSI
    should not be compared to WAP, telnet, or even NFS.  Sure, in some cases
    iSCSI will be deployed on workstations, and the user will be able to
    complain to the administrator if they their system suddenly halts under
    the load of a SMURF attack.  But in other environments, I can envision
    farms of 100's, perhaps 1000's of iSCSI disk drives and servers, all
    managed by a small team of a few administrators. In this situation,
    centrally managed security gateways that are fully empowered to filter
    and protect will be important.  I would be uncomfortable allowing direct
    IP connectivity to the public network for each of these devices, even if
    all traffic is IPSec encrypted. My solution would be to hide these devices
    behind a security gateway network proxy, turn off the end-to-end security,
    and use the security gateway's IPSec.

    Josh