    From: "Julian Satran" <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>
    To: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 7:08 AM
    Subject: RE: CmdSN during login

    > I can see scenarios in which you would want the login request  be
    regular -
    > as when you issue it after
    > a task management clear LU or reset command and want to make sure that it
    > executed after the clear and the CmdSN clearly indicates that.  However
    > even this effect can be achieved by other means

    Yes - like waiting for the Task Management response before issuing the
    login.

    >and the discussion is
    > rather academic - should we mandate the I bit in the login phase (MUST) or

    Yes. Consider this as a guide. "Until a connection has reached Full Feature
    Phase, it is not a member of the session it is either trying to create or
    join." As such, there seems no point in regulating the flow of Login Phase
    commands with respect to the session context.

    > just say that it should be used whenever adequate and explain why (which I
    > prefer) as it won't be required in all cases (e.g., it is not necessary in
    > a session establishing login).

    By all means, but ONLY if those circumstances can be spelled out in black
    and white. Leaving things open to interpretation leads to inconsistent
    handling
    between implementations. I haven't seen any scenarios yet, and until one is
    presented, please rule it out.

    Thanks,

    Ken Sandars
    ksandars@eurologic.com