    IPS: Well-known ports

    One of the things on my to-do list from the Nashua interim
    meeting was to look into assignment of well-known port numbers
    for iSCSI, FCIP and iFCP.  IANA requires that an application
    be submitted - I would recommend the usage of System ports
    for our protocols, see:

    http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/sys-port-number.pl

    User ports are an alternative if the above doesn't work
    for some reason:

    http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl

    I would ask the Technical Coordinators and draft authors
    to find a volunteer to complete the application for each
    protocol and report the resulting assignment to the list.
    This needs to be done in fairly short order to get iSCSI
    in particular away from using port 5003 as its well-known
    port, which it SHOULD NOT be doing (so sayeth the ADs).

    Sorry for the delay on this, and many thanks to whomever
    the volunteers/victims are who take care of these applications.

    Thanks,
    --David (overworked WG co-chair)

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500