    RE: saag whyenc draft (was RE: Security Gateways)

    Ted,

    > ... and when someone takes their infected Windows 2000 laptop back
    > behind the corporate firewall, viruses such as Code Red generally
    > rampage completely out of control, since people behind the firewall
    > get careless and assume that they don't need to worry about security
    > or applying the latest security patches or service packs behind the
    > firewall.

    Protection against viruses and hackers comes from firewalls and
    virus-detection software, not IPSec.  An IPSec-equipped host can
    be just as vulnerable to Code Red as one without IPSec.

    Maintaining adequate defensive measures to protect against viruses
    and hackers is an extremely administratively intensive process.  It
    involves buttoning down your host to make sure there are no open
    unused TCP ports, and that each new application you install doesn't
    open up new weaknesses.  Any security administrator knows this isn't
    easy to maintain for even a single host.  That is why the bastion
    host/security gateway architecture is practical for a large enterprise.
    You only have to do it for your 3-4 security gateways, not your 1000+
    hosts.

    > This has happened to at least three companies, according to reports
    > from IETF'ers.  One of them at last count hadn't been able to read
    > e-mail for the last 48+ hours because Code Red was disrupting the
    > internal network so badly that he wasn't able to get to his corporate
    > mail servers.

    What they need is not necessarily IPSec, but a personal firewall with
    virus detection capability for their notebook.  There are many of
    these commercially available.

    > If you think that administrators only need to monitor the few security
    > gateways, in order to assure the security of the enterprise, you're
    > beeing hopelessly optimistic.

    The first axiom of security is that NOTHING is 100% secure.  What I
    said is that we know the strengths and weaknesses of the security
    gateway architecture, and while I agree that it is not invulnerable,
    I would rather go with that than trade the known for the unknown.

    > That being said, no one is saying that security firewalls should be
    > thrown out; first of all, by saying that security should be mandatory
    > to implement, it gives the choice of whether or not the encryption
    > should be turned on to the user.  Mantory to implement != manadatory
    > to use.  Secondly, defense in depth is important.

    Agreed.  End-to-end IPSec is good to have, but in many cases I
    would turn it off, especially if I wanted to leverage the firewall
    services of a security gateway.  If end-to-end IPSec is turned
    on, then I would need to ensure each host has a personal firewall
    and up-to-date virus detection capability.

    > Even behind my corporate firewall of my company, I maintain my
    > personal machines as if there were no firewall, and use encrypted
    > connections for everything.  This meant that after we got badly
    > attacked by hackers who were able to pierce the corporate firewalls, I
    > wasn't affected.  However the naive folks who assumed they didn't need
    > to worry about security because the firewall would protect them were
    > very badly affected indeed.

    I didn't necessarily mean rely on the corporate firewall.  I believe
    an internal isolated subnet within a corporate network, accessed
    only through a dedicated iSCSI security gateway, would provide
    equivalent if not superior security in many cases.  For sure, it would
    be far easier to administer and monitor than end-to-end encryption,
    virus-detection software, and host-based firewalls on every individual
    iSCSI host.

    The point I'm trying to make is that end-to-end IPSec doesn't solve
    all the security issues.  There have been statements made about how
    end-to-end IPSec provides security so that the end user doesn't have
    to worry about it.  I believe this is not only false, but that there
    are situations where end-to-end encryption will actually increase your
    overall security exposure, because it prevents you from leveraging
    firewall available from a generic security gateway.  We need to make
    sure expectations are set correctly.  I don't think there is anything
    that this working group can do to address every possible security
    threat ever known to mankind, and I certainly hope we don't try to.

    Josh