    iSCSI CRC: A CRC-checking example

    Julian and CRC enthusiasts-

    After several people ran the iSCSI CRC through their
    hardware and software implementations, we've found that
    there are a few important things to add to the CRC spec;
    that the bit order must be flipped, and the CRC bytes
    must be sent in network order.

    We should also specify that when running the CRC check
    on an iSCSI PDU with its CRC, that the remainder (before
    complement and bit-reversal) is a constant 0x1c2d19ed.

    How about replacing:

    The generator polynomial selected is evaluated in [Castagnioli93].
    When using the CRC the CRC register must be initialized to all 1s
    (0xFFFFFFFF) and the CRC bits must be complemented before
    transmission. Padding bytes, when present, in a segment covered by a
    CRC, should be set to 0 and are included in the CRC.

    With:

    The generator polynomial selected is evaluated in [Castagnioli93].
    When using the CRC the CRC register must be initialized to all 1s
    (0xFFFFFFFF).  Input bytes are processed with bit 7 being the most
    significant bit.  Before transmission, the CRC bits must be
    reflected (bit 31 swapped with bit 0, bit 30 swapped with bit 1,
    etc.), and complemented.  The CRC bytes must be transmitted in
    network order.  Padding bytes, when present, in a segment covered
    by a CRC, should be set to 0 and are included in the CRC.

    Running the CRC-32C generator on an input stream that includes a
    valid CRC-32C will result in the constant remainder 0x1c2d19ed,
    (without being reversed and complemented).

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems