    RE: FCIP -03 comments

    There are actually two issues in here, one major and one minor.

    The major issue is that the FCIP authors want to prohibit two
    FCIP entities from sharing the same IP address.  That's ok provided
    that the rationale for this design choice is clearly stated in
    the (next version of) the FCIP draft.  One of the reasons why
    that rationale is necessary is that this prohibition prevents
    FCIP from working correctly through a NAPT (Network Address
    Port Translator, see RFC 2663), and the IPS WG charter requires
    operation through such entities to be considered by the WG.
    It's fair to argue that this lack of support is a "feature"
    (e.g., there's a significant portion of the IETF community
    that regards NAPT and all other forms of NAT as "bugs"), but
    the argument needs to be explicitly made in the draft.

    While I'm at it, it appears to me that the FCIP authors are
    reverting to the unfortunate habit of holding technical
    discussions off-line and not sharing them with the list.  This
    is not a good thing to do, and risks an interminable WG Last
    Call process, as "the authors discussed this offline and
    came to a different conclusion" is NOT an acceptable response
    to a Last Call comment/objection.  Getting these technical
    discussions onto the list so everyone can see them is important.

    The minor issue is that the phrase "for each IP address assigned
    to the product" requires an FCIP entity for IP interfaces on which
    FCIP is not intended to be used.  This should be reworded as a
    prohibition on FCIP entities sharing an IP address, which
    seems to be the intention.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500