    RE: Security in iSCSI

    Julian,

    > To be absolutely correct the issue of removing the option of cryptographyc
    > digest was brough up
    > by you as a possibility,  under the now fashionable umbrela of
    > simplification, and I agree that we might want to
    > remove some of them and limit ourselves to the set close to what we intend
    > to make mandatory to implement (e.g., if we make SRP mandatory to
    implement
    > then a SRP "keyed" digest could be the right thing to specify - not
    > mandate).  As Kerberos and CHAP are popular in enterprises due to their
    > manageability removing them and leving the implementation for them to be
    > completely vendor specific is not a good idea.

    You've confused two separate issues.  The digests referred to in
    the email exchange below are the KRB5 and SPKM digests in the
    table on p.135 of -07 which I proposed for removal on the list
    well before the London meeting and which you agreed to do; please
    make sure that they do not appear in -08.  There is no SRP keyed
    inband digest specified anywhere in -07 -- at the moment, any such
    functionality would be obtained via keying of ESP.

    The issue of whether all 5 of the authentication methods (Kerberos, SRP,
    SPKM-1, SPKM-2, CHAP) in the table on p.136 are needed is a separate and
    open issue that is on the agenda for Orange County.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500