    RE: iSCSI: reusing ISID for recovery

    Julian,

    >The initiator knows "that he lost his way" (in the initiator jungle tough)
    >and issues a Login + ISID + TSID=0 + X bit on (meaning
    >" I think I have an old session - please clean it up for me" and open a new
    >one) then the target may do one of the following:

    >- before going to the effort of authenticating the new initiator check if a
    >session exist (if he has the initiator name) or go to authentication if it
    >does not

    Are you saying that authentication is not required when a login request
    with ISID + TSID= 0 + X bit is set? Or will it result in a valid session
    close when a forced access to the target is attempted by a hacker?
    What exactly if some hacker issues to the target with retry bit set and
    gains access?  I
    thought authentication will protect the existing session from a 'me too'
    hacking identifications? Am I missing something here?

    >- If he does not have a session - we have 3 options:
    >a)- tell him hid did not have an old session and drop him
    >b)- tell him he did not have an old session but nevertheless create a new
    >one
    >c)- create a new session and do not tell him

    Does your proposal (i.e. with 'X' bit set) take care of the case , when
    the initiator reboots (probably after a crash) while a session is still
    active in the session? How is that taken care of?

    Thanks

    Deva
    Platys communications

    Let's attemp to close that optimization that is so dear to your hearts.
    If we go for the following scheme (very close to B):

    The initiator knows "that he lost his way" (in the initiator jungle tough)
    and issues a Login + ISID + TSID=0 + X bit on (meaning
    " I think I have an old session - please clean it up for me" and open a new
    one) then the target may do one of the following:

    - before going to the effort of authenticating the new initiator check if a
    session exist (if he has the initiator name) or go to authentication if it
    does not
    - If he has a session then clean it and create a new one
    - If he does not have a session - we have 3 options:
    a)- tell him hid did not have an old session and drop him
    b)- tell him he did not have an old session but nevertheless create a new
    one
    c)- create a new session and do not tell him

    With option a we are close to the old option c but the initiator does not
    have to find the old session he can do now safely a new login
    With b & c  we are back at the old b.

    Which one would you give your kingdom for ( and my peace!).

    Julo

    "Dev" <deva@stargateip.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 28-08-2001 01:44:15

    Please respond to <deva@stargateip.com>

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu