    RE: iSCSI: login issue - partial consensus call

    > One clarification..
    >
    > > This is also Venkat's concern - unintentional reuse of an ISID
    > > by the same Initiator:
    > >
    > > > 2. There is some value in protecting an accidental use of an
    > > > existing ISID by a second client (ISID=<existing>, TSID=0).
    > > > This can be done with a Reject of the login attempt,
    > >
    > > In contrast to some of the responses to Venkat, I interpret
    > > "client" to mean another iSCSI port on the same Initiator, and
    > > then his concern matches Julian's.
    >
    > "Another port on the same initiator" by definition has a different ISID
    and
    > thus this problem is not possible.  Maybe you mean another iSCSI driver?

    Looks like I should have capitalized Initiator, as I meant it in the sense
    that iSCSI defines the term.  The potential scenario here is two different
    iSCSI boards are part of the same iSCSI Initiator, and something goes wrong
    in the ISID coordination that has to happen between them.  Two different
    device drivers is one way to increase the ways to get this wrong (yes,
    the ISIDs are supposed to be different, but they're set up dynamically
    between the devices and their drivers, and software bugs happen).

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500