    Re: iSCSI: ISID issue summary

    ... and have as much chances to blow a session as ISID.

    Julo

    Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    10-10-01 16:27
    Please respond to Jim Hafner

            To:        Black_David@emc.com, ips@ece.cmu.edu
            cc:
            Subject:        Re: iSCSI: ISID issue summary

    David,

    An excellent summary of the issues.

    A couple of things I want to point out about the "text key" proposal, however.
    a) The proposal sounds to me like iSCSI will have "optional SCSI Port names". Only when the key is used is the SCSI port named and when the key is not used, there is no such name. That's probably an acceptable situation as far as SAM-2 is concerned, but it certainly is odd.
    b) The proposal would require at least as much coordination above the "session manager" level as managing ISIDs, though admittedly, it need not be implemented in all cases.
    c) I'm concerned how to describe the model when names are optional, so as to avoid the parallel nexus problem. Is it that all initiator session endpoints that don't provide this text key have *implicit* unique names and only when the text key is presented does the name get explicit (and then possibly not be unique)? In that case, the key would have to be supplied in login next to the InitiatorName.

    Jim Hafner

    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu