    Re: iSCSI: Framing Steps

    Somesh Gupta wrote:

    > Sridhar,

    Its true that the current day IP networks are capable of handling packet
    drops .... But it is high time to have a mechanism to handle this
    more efficiently, keeping in view the importance of SANs and their
    intended use. I think otion 6 with proper interpretation of *SHOULD* is
    a good option to opt for.

    >>   In fact, FIM directly addresses this very spirit.
    >>
    >>   We may want to add a note in the iSCSI draft that
    >>   implementations should try to honor the RFC1122-SHOULD
    >>   when the sender is not willing to supply markers.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>-Shridhar Mukund
    >>

    >      I think there is substantial disagreement as to whether
    >      any approach meets the objectives that people are
    >      attempting (of course there is probably no agreement
    >      on the requirements either). The debate so far, even
    >      though intelligent, has been at the surface and high
    >      level.
    >
    >      I think to resolve this requires experimentation, or
    >      at least a very detailed hypothetical technical design
    >      and analysis (I would be more than happy to at least
    >      take pot-shots so the design and analysis would be
    >      more thorough).
    >
    >      It will make visible at the compromises and assumptions
    >      being made - people can then decide whether we want
    >      iSCSI to make those assumptions and compromises.
    >
    >      (or perhaps that will require people to share too much?)

    >>Reference : David's response dtd 14 Jan. to my email:
    >>

    >>>   b. I strongly recommend SHOULD implement FIM on the send side.
    >>>      Implication -> Senders that do not insert markers should be
    >>>      willing to accept up to RTT*BW data drops! Headers being
    >>>      "reasonably" out-of-order is OK. Of course, senders that do not
    >>>      insert markers but are willing to pay big $$$ to the SSP will
    >>>      get their buffer/BW allocation as usual and customary :-)
    >>>
    >>I think the Implication is too strong, as it goes against the following
    >>SHOULD from RFC 1122 (which modifies RFC 793):
    >>
    >>         4.2.2.20  Event Processing: RFC-793 Section 3.9
    >>
    >>            While it is not strictly required, a TCP SHOULD be capable
    >>            of queueing out-of-order TCP segments.
    >>
    >>A drop causes the segments up to the retransmission of the drop to
    >>be out-of-order.  This does not preclude "SHOULD implement FIM", but
    >>the above Implication is overdone in my view as it appears to condone
    >>drops of all out-of-order segments.

Last updated: Tue Jan 29 10:17:56 2002
8538 messages in chronological order