    Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    Let's see if we can make some progress towards
    consensus here.  I see two open issues in the
    discussion on connection issues:

    (A) Should iSCSI require a TCP connection per LUN?
    (B) Should iSCSI have a session abstraction that
    	binds multiple TCP connections into one
    	iSCSI connection?

    On the first issue, (A), I have only seen one
    individual (David Robinson) advocating the "yes"
    position.  Therefore, I believe there is rough
    consensus for "no" as the answer to (A).  This
    does not forbid building a system in which each
    iSCSI target has a single LUN, but also allows
    multiple LUNs per target.  In RFC 2119 terms,
    I think that this will come down to:
    - Initiators MUST support multiple LUNs/target
    - Targets MAY support multiple LUNs/target
    One of the things that needs to be done to the iSCSI
    draft is to clarify the requirements by reference
    to RFC 2119 and use of the capitalized terms found
    therein.

    NB: Now I'm going to give the game away by explaining
    what I just did in IETF terms.  As WG co-chair, I have
    expressed my opinion that rough consensus exists; that
    opinion may be incorrect since WG co-chairs are not
    infallible by any means.  If anyone other than the one
    individual noted above believes that "yes" is the best
    technical answer to (A), they should speak up on the list,
    especially if I've missed a message advocating "yes"
    from someone else in reviewing the traffic on the list.

    Despite Steve Byan's recent change of opinion, I do not
    believe that we have reached rough consensus on (B).  Part
    of the reason for this is that I'm not sure everyone has
    clearly understood the consequences of a "no" on (B).
    Let me start from Costa's simple explanation:

    > There are two ways in which multiple connections are used in iSCSI:
    >
    > 1) Multiple simultaneous TCP connections for bandwidth
    >
    > 2) Multiple TCP connections for fault tolerance/recovery
    > 	(i.e. when one TCP connection in a session dies,
    >          another one starts up)

    It is an established practice in the storage industry
    to achieve both 1) and 2) via the use of multiple
    SCSI connections, and evidenced by numerous products
    that do this for host access to storage.  Hence a
    "no" answer to (B) does not preclude the use of
    multiple TCP connections for bandwidth or fault
    tolerance/recovery as long as one is willing to use
    multiple SCSI connections to do so.

    So, to resolve issue (B), we need to discuss whether
    there are compelling reasons for doing 1) and/or 2)
    within a single SCSI connection, as opposed to across
    multiple SCSI connections.  This specific issue needs
    further discussion -- I invite everyone to have at it ...

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
    black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754