    Re: Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    David writes:
    ___________________

    It is an established practice in the storage industry
    to achieve both 1) and 2) via the use of multiple
    SCSI connections, and evidenced by numerous products
    that do this for host access to storage.  Hence a
    "no" answer to (B) does not preclude the use of
    multiple TCP connections for bandwidth or fault
    tolerance/recovery as long as one is willing to use
    multiple SCSI connections to do so.

    So, to resolve issue (B), we need to discuss whether
    there are compelling reasons for doing 1) and/or 2)
    within a single SCSI connection, as opposed to across
    multiple SCSI connections.  This specific issue needs
    further discussion -- I invite everyone to have at it ...

    --David

    ___________________

    That is a fair description of the status-quo except for the following
    points:

    i) a good number of mainframe class controllers aggregate bandwidth and
    links underneath
    the channel layer (the rough equivalent of SCSI) for reasons similar to
    those
    neatly stated in Michael Krause comment - anything above the channel layer
    is oblivious
    to the channel configuration (NB the aggregation scheme used there is even
    more radical
    than the one in the current iSCSI draft - even the allegiance mechanism is
    missing)

    ii) parallel SCSI buses have different failure modes than a SAN; with
    parallel buses at low speed
     - it is safe to assume that if a command fails it is the device/controller
    that is failing and retry is seldom an issue. As a result of this history
    applications and devices HANDLE BADLY recovery at SCSI level - the most
    notorious being the tapes. The FC community has realized this after the
    first version of FCP was out and gone a long way to enable recovery at the
    channel level (introduced command numbering to solve this recovery issue).
    Considering that failures in a complex  network have a substantially higher
    probability than on parallel buses and that percolating them to the upper
    layers looks like a bad idea  we had only few design choices - expect TCP
    to introduce a recovery mechanism or provide one of our own.

    Another way (and a more abstract one) to look at it is that the SCSI stack
    was designed
    with simple conceptual layers (device, transport, physical interconnect)
    and as  the physical interconnect gets more complex you have to adjust the
    transport in order to maintain simplicity at
    the device (SCSI command) level.