    RE: Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    Doug,

    Please cool down and keep the discussion technical.
    I personally do not enjoy bringing press quotes to a technical discussion.
    And so much more when they are inaccurate.

    Encapsulating FC ovr IP is not SCSI. Your basic assumption is that FCP will
    be encapsulated on IP. FCP is tightly tied to FC (as TCP is to IP) and has
    already
    a complex (and not yet closed) recovery mechanism based on the assumption
    it runs over FC.  Moreover - like SCSI - FCP has the notion of a target
    distinct from the notion of a LUN.
    It could be an acceptable solution to extend the range of a FC island but
    even for
    this it has to go some way in solving the congestion and security issues.
    IMHO even for this application a FCP-iSCSI gateway could provide a better
    solution
    as the mapping is straightforward.

    Julo

    "Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net> on 15/08/2000 19:24:34