    RE: Towards Consensus on TCP Connections

    > iSCSI intertwines LUN states to save TCP overhead.  In doing so, one tag
    > error sorting millions of tags within the mid-stream point of aggregation
    > (the iSCSI design) necessitates a catastrophic system reset.  With FC over
    > IP, the end point handles errors in accordance to the FC protocol such as
    > FCP-2 with simple frame aligned objects.  I count an additional complex
    > state machine in the middle of the communication path for iSCSI in addition
    > to new adapters with complex (INSANE) state machines at the client.  A
    > switch or a router would be a far safer choice for aggregation.

    I think you greatly over estimate the complexity, risk, and recovery
    issues. What is being described is a specific case of common
    multiplex/demultiplex scheme that is well understood and widely
    deployed. The complexity of doing it at the iSCSI session layer
    is no greater than doing it at the TCP transport layer.  We have years
    of experience building reliable TCP port mux/demux software. Furthermore
    the same technique is inherent in the Layer-2/3 switches that today
    can process 250M+ packets/sec.  I don't see why doing it for IPS
    would be any more difficult. I am no FC/FCP expert but I am willing
    to bet such a scheme exists in existing fabrics.

    Although I have argued in the past for a session per LUN, complexity
    of doing the mux/demux at either the session (iSCSI) or transport (TCP)
    layer is not a factor in either design.

    	-David