    iSCSI: T10 meeting

    I spent today at the T10 meeting, despite United Airlines'
    best attempts to keep me out of the Pacific time zone :-).
    I did quite a bit of explaining about IETF and ips
    logistics, procedures, and status, but did manage
    to squeeze in some technical discussion.

    Here are a few items of relevance to iSCSI:

    - As indicated earlier, T10 would like to see iSCSI
    (and other encapsulations of SCSI) follow the data
    formats used by FCP to the extent possible and
    reasonable.  Departures for good functional reasons
    are ok (e.g., iSCSI separates out task management
    in a way that FCP does not, and there may be good
    reasons to do that), even though they complicate
    bridges.  OTOH, format differences that lack a
    functional reason should be avoided.  The recent
    proposal by Charles Monia to harmonize iSCSI and
    FCP packet formats deserves serious attention.

    - There has been some discussion of stateless bridges
    or gateways on this list in the past.  T10's view of
    this area is that such devices tend to be inherently
    stateful because they usually have to keep state
    related to proxying multiple initiators accessing them
    onto a single initiator that accesses the actual
    target.  Mapping command tags as part of this is not
    a big deal, and hence T10 does not attempt to mandate
    a single SCSI tag format -- in fact a 64 bit tag for
    SCSI over VI was recommended as part of today's meeting.
    The rationale for that tag may be worth considering for
    iSCSI - an initiator running a 64 bit OS can stick a
    memory address in the tag, which makes it easier to
    handle responses.  In any case, it's not important
    to match FCP's tag structure exactly.

    - I want to reinforce Steve Byan's earlier email on
    multiple ordered commands and resource exhaustion.
    As indicated by words in our (still draft) charter,
    this sort of issue expressible entirely in SCSI
    w/o reference to TCP or any other transport is in
    T10's domain.  That means that not only is it T10's
    responsibility to deal with this issue, it is also
    T10's responsibility to determine whether the issue
    is serious enough to merit any changes.  This IETF
    WG should be cautious about redesigning things like
    ACA - it would be undesirable for ACA to behave
    differently in iSCSI than in other SCSI transports.

    From my viewpoint, a good working relationship
    with T10 is well underway.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500