    RE: iSCSI: Flow Control

    At 12:34 PM 10/4/00 -0700, John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM wrote:

    >Michael Krause,
    >First, a session usually lasts from Boot Time till it is Booted again or
    >stopped.  The variant to this is a Storage Device being used in a manor
    >like a Mount or Map done with NAS.  Even then, most folks, have that setup
    >so the Mounting and Mapping is done at bring up, though it is sometimes
    >done at other times, but even then it is left around.  So I think the thing
    >you can say about Session Time as the term is used in the iSCSI context is
    >that it is LONG.
    >
    >I do not think we have consensus about the notification of available
    >buffers.  With the way many systems work, is (as stated above), all devices
    >are set up at startup of the Host, and the Session is kept around by the
    >Host, even if there hasn't been anything which use that device all
    >day/week, etc.  So I am not sure if having a certain amount of buffer space
    >reserved for each Host (which could be 100s-1000s) would be an especially
    >good idea.

    I believe we are in agreement both in terms of duration and the need to
    have dynamic buffer management.  I will clarify that there will also be
    sessions that are not host focused, e.g. the peer-to-peer direction of a
    storage object to another device, e.g. multi-media streaming and these
    sessions will be shorter lived - possibly on a per transaction basis where
    a transaction is something of reasonably large in value (e.g. 100's MBs of
    data movement).

    Mike