    RE: Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer.

    I disagree with making a solution to the framing problem optional.

    The framing problem is real.  Without a solution to it, iSCSI will fail.
    Failure is not an option.

    Those who doubt the importance of finding a solution to the framing problem
    should argue that point directly, without trying to negate proposed
    solutions by making them optional.

    Those who accept the framing problem, but disagree with the urgent pointer
    mechanism as a solution, can contribute constructively by (a) exhibiting an
    alternative solution; (b) fully explaining their reservations about use of
    the urgent pointer mechanism.

    I myself am not yet convinced that the urgent pointer mechanism is a viable
    solution to the framing problem.  But I do applaud Matt's attempts to find a
    solution.

    Randy Haagens
    Director, Networked Storage Architecture
    Storage Organization
    Hewlett-Packard Co.
    e-mail: Randy_Haagens@hp.com
    tel: +1 916 785 4578