    RE: Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer

    Daniel,

    Even this modified Urgent Pointer scheme has an impact on standard TCP.  As
    everyone looks to TCP offload engines, making flavors of TCP is not helpful
    in that effort.  There must be a formalized API for this modified TCP Urgent
    Pointer scheme to be assessed.  With this option in place, will a single
    spoof be able to hang a system or corrupt data?  Remember more than one
    application may be using this scheme.  As there is a larger audience with
    respect to networking, expect an "all is fair in the box" explanation to not
    win the day.  This Urgent Pointer modification API should be completed and
    presented for review.

    The ugly aspect of the urgent pointer idea comes from requirements placed on
    data handling.  As this scheme can not be identified, it will be difficult
    for TOE to operate in the correct mode.  Should there be a desire for a new
    mode of TCP operation, select a new option code rather than debase a prior
    and include API documentation rather than just a description of wire
    traffic.  As this is not within the IPS charter, details being discussed
    here even for changes found compatible if viewed at the wire should be
    tasked to the group responsible for TCP.  Perhaps you will find a better
    solution than thought possible as a result.

    Doug