    RE: iSCSI Boot Process Draft

    Hi Doug,

    If I understand your question correctly, can the file field be shared by
    TFTP and iSCSI?
    Absolutely - based on a client identifier specified in the bootp draft(s),
    the bootp server
    can choose to return either a tftp "file" entry or an iscsi "file" entry.
    In other words,
    TFTP and iSCSI booting can co-exist in the same environment.

    The draft is moving towards dhcp options, so that the configuration can be
    done
    by dhcp servers without field sharing.

    There are a lot of boot protocols other than the ones discussed above -
    system
    manufacturers have a lot of choice in this matter. Should they decide to
    boot off iscsi targets, the boot draft will be relevant.

    Prasenjit

       Prasenjit Sarkar
       Research Staff Member
       IBM Almaden Research