    RE: draft URL

    Julian,

    As David Black pointed out, the word "impossible" may be a bit strong for
    finding PDUs with respect to snooping test equipment.  In the next
    paragraph, the result of setting the urgent bit is not correctly stated by
    indicating the urgent pointer will be pointing to the first byte of an iSCSI
    message in the TCP segment.  This should be reworded to state:

       The result provides an Urgent Pointer pointing to the first or
       second byte of a PDU.  If the PDU is within the TCP segment,
       then this PDU will be the last PDU contained.

    No assurance must be made as to whether the Urgent Pointer will be contained
    within the TCP segment.  The statement 'first byte of a iSCSI message' is
    also misleading in that an assumption is often made that the pointer will be
    positioned to the first message rather than the last.  This should be
    clearly stated.  I still hope for an API that illustrates a mechanism for
    allowing this technique to be beneficial.

    Page 13,

       "Unfortunately, when relying solely on the "message length in the
       iSCSI message" scheme to delineate iSCSI messages, a missing TCP
       segment that contains an iSCSI message header (with the message
       length) makes it impossible to find message boundaries in subsequent
       TCP segments. The missing TCP segment must be received before any
       following segments can be processed.

       The iSCSI protocol uses the urgent bit in the TCP header to delineate
       iSCSI messages. The first byte, and only the first byte, of every
       iSCSI PDU SHOULD be marked "urgent" if the receiving party has
       indicated its readiness to accept PDUs marked with the Urgent Bit &
       Pointer.  The result is that there will be a TCP segment with a valid
       TCP pointer (urgent flag set) pointing to the first byte of an iSCSI
       message in the TCP segment."

    Doug