    Re: iSCSI: Towards Urgent Pointer Consensus

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:
    > - I want to specifically thank and encourage Randall
    >         Stewart and Dick Gahan for working through some
    >         of the details of how well the mechanism is
    >         likely to work and what's at stake in specific
    >         situations.  This sort of detailed analysis is
    >         useful in illuminating the value/utility of
    >         proposed mechanisms such as this one.

    David:

    Don't thank me yet... I have not really analyzed this
    enough... I have some cycles free tommorrow and I want
    to start digging through several TCP stack to get an
    idea how the urgent pointer is implemented on both
    the send and receive side...

    Julian as pointed out to me that I may be getting the
    URG and PUSH bits confused in my musing this weekend... I
    want to dig through the code and get a real idea on how
    three seperate implemenations have handled this URG bit. If
    Julian is correct I can live with the SHOULD... however I
    want to reserve that judgment until I can finish digging
    through a bit of code... I don't want a SHOULD specifying something
    that may not work reliably....

    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com
    815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)